Monday 3 October 2011

Reading tip: Get The Behaviour Guru by Tom Bennett

It is literally the best academic book I have ever read and is a must for all trainee and NQT teachers as it gives so many tips and real life situations on how to handle a class.
Tom Bennett writes it in such a way that he speaks to the reader and makes it so easy to go through pages and pages without even realising it. He has done it so it is his own opinion and uses examples of what has worked for him.
In fact it begs the question that why isn't every book written like this?
I read text books because they are written by experts, people with experience in the field and so I want their view, not a winded up version hiding behind a million references in case it offends someone.
I would much sooner read what somebody has interpreted from their reading and experience rather than battle through the drivel of overcomplicated words with brackets every line citing some author I have never heard of, just so it doesn't look like it is the authors point of view.
One thing is for sure, if all books were written like this one, it would make the endless reading lists a lot easier and more entertaining to get through. It would also make them more beneficial as I have remembered far more from reading the first 50 pages of this book than I have any other book this year.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have to/choose to read lots during or prior to your PGCE? I love reading but wonder how many books I will need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is extremely kind of you, thanks very much. Glad it helped :)

    ReplyDelete