Friday 7 October 2011

Pre PGCE reading

Someone has asked the question how much reading should you before your PGCE course, and at the risk of getting wrath off of lecturers this is what I have found so far in my experience:

I would say don't bother with reading loads of books before you start. I read a general how to be a good primary teacher one and looking back it wasn't beneficial at all.
I find the key to reading is being able to relate it to how you could use it in your classroom but before you start you can't do this. Because of this I can't remember anything that was in that book.
However what it did do was get me in the right frame of mind to get ready to learn again, I had a year gap between uni and my PGCE so that was useful for me.
If maths or literacy is a struggle though, brush up on your GCSE knowledge as you have to pass a QTS skills test which I haven't done yet but looks quite hard.
During the actual course there is a lot of reading but it isn't overwhelming, yes you can read every book under the sun but if you stick to what is asked and maybe a couple of others you find interesting you won't find your life overtaken by books (well not textbooks anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment