Tuesday 27 September 2011

Can a maths starter be to fun?

I always thought it would be trying to make a maths starter interesting that would be the problem but today I found myself in the unusual position of getting the children too excited at the beginning of the lesson.
I opted for a Who Wants to be a Millionaire style maths quiz to ease the children's brains into action but it turned on to a full on celebration when they reached the million pounds.
They were physically jumping off the carpet when they got the final question correct and all I could think was how sorry I was for my teacher who had to calm them down and do the rest of the lesson.
Luckily she managed to do is gifted when it comes to a calm classroom and managed to do it perfectly but I'm not sure I would have been able to get the same response.
One thing is for sure, I will not be repeating the game during my teaching practice!

2 comments:

  1. @editconsultants4 October 2011 at 12:51

    Don't write the activity off - perhaps re-use it as a plenary instead of a starter. The children then get to run their excitement off at breaktime and come in fresh for the next lesson. Enthusing the children is a GOOD thing (but so is keeping them calm) It's all about time and place not necessarily do and don't with some activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using it as a plenery is a great idea, especially as they enjoyed it. I think I will try that :)

    ReplyDelete